And here's an excerpt:
I hear their muffled whispers and understand every Italian word. Every witty comment made at my expense.
It’s like my brain is automatically translating.
I bunch the soft fabric of the dress in my hand and then reach up to feel the ribbon in my hair. I lightly skim my fingers over my chin and feel my lack of zit. I take in the costumes of the crowd, the stench of the animals, and the Italian I can now speak and understand. And suddenly it hits me.
Reyna must have pulled some kind of gypsy mojo.
Maybe this is one of those nifty “change your life” magic scenarios like in the movies. I mean, mostly I’m still expecting to blink and be right back in the midst of overpriced, gaudy tourism, but for now, the gypsy-time-warp explanation is infinitely better than thinking I’ve lost my mind. As I decide to go with that option, I feel my frantic tension melt away.
The growing crowd seems to notice my change in demeanor and begins shooting one another amused looks, but I don’t care anymore. A smile stretches across my face. Evidently, I was wrong earlier; Reyna is a psychic mind reader, because if this is her special brand of bibbity-bobbity-boo, then she made my exact daydream from earlier in the courtyard come to life.
The long red gown, the braided hair, the Italian merchant’s daughter, the time period. I am in Renaissance Florence.
I stare dumbly at the ground, the words and reality sinking in.
I’m in Renaissance Florence!
My Super Sweet 16th Century, by Rachel Harris is available for pre-order on: Amazon | Barnes & Noble Be sure to add it to your TBR pile on Goodreads!
Now on to my mishmash of Monday thoughts:
- Daylight Savings Losing an hour is never fun. I forced myself out of bed an hour early on Sunday just to make sure I didn't lose the time during the day.
- From Paranormal to Contemporary I'm used to writing in the paranormal genre, and now that I'm writing a contemporary, I keep waiting for the paranormal element to pop up. LOL. I'm seriously laughing at myself over here. *There's no paranormal in a contemporary romance, Kelly.*
- St. Patrick's Day I'm 6 different nationalities and Irish happens to be one of them. Happy St. Patrick's Day!
- Marketing This weekend I had the pleasure of speaking with my marketing consultant at Spencer Hill Press. How cool is that? She is amazing, and I'm so excited to work with her on Touch of Death.
- Writing Goals At the beginning of the year, I set the goal to write three books in 2012. Somehow, I'm on the third already. How did that happen?
That's it for me. What's on your mind today?