Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Writer Wednesday: Open Submissions Approaching!

If you read last Wednesday's post, then you know that I'm now the acquisitions editor for Leap Books' middle grade line, Seek. I also mentioned that while Seek is only open to agented submissions I'd be holding an open submissions period in August. Well…

From August 1 to August 14, I'll be accepting unagented submissions. If you have a middle grade title (geared toward tweens) you can query me at kellyhashway.leapbooks@gmail.com. Please make sure your query includes the 
following:

  • Subject line: Open Submission: TITLE OF YOUR BOOK
  • Query in the body of the email
  • synopsis and first three (3) chapters of your book (as Word attachments)

That's it! Please only query me at the Leap Books address above. Queries sent to 
my regular email will be deleted unread.

Not sure if your book is a good fit for Seek? Here's what I'm looking for:

I am looking for immersive middle grade fiction stories of approximately 30-40,000 words, in all genres, with characters that LEAP off the page. Submissions should demonstrate:

  • strong, polished writing

  • engaging and age-appropriate storytelling that will appeal to the target audience

  • solid character development

  • powerful world building

  • an exciting plot

***Preference for mystery, contemporary, and fantasy at this time.***
Good luck!

25 comments:

  1. I'm sorry I've missed last Wednesday's post. Congratulations on becoming LEAP's MG acquisition editor, Kelly! Will tweet this around for fellow MG writers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting! I will be sure to share this with my MG writer pals. :) Reading the submissions will be fun- and interesting!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you find some great stories, Kelly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are going to have all kinds of fun. Not to mention being busy......
    Have a great evening, Kelly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's wonderful. I've read some of Leap's YA books and novellas, so I'm excited to read their MG.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you find some great manuscripts to work with. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have fun with your new job and the stories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so happy for you, Kelly. Wish I had a MG ready to submit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If all goes well I'll have an open submission again another time.

      Delete
  9. Congratulations, Kelly!!! That's awesome! I know a lot of people will take advantage of this great opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on your latest accomplishment! I'm sure you'll enjoy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats, Kelly. Looks like busy days ahead.

    ReplyDelete

All anonymous comments will be marked as spam and not published.