Wednesday, August 16, 2017

A Day in the Life

The lovely Mirka Breen asked me to post about what my typical day looks like, so I'm going to do just that. Let me start by saying I'm a very scheduled person. My husband makes fun of me for this because I literally do things according to what time of day it is—and I mean specific time of day. If it's 7:05 a.m., I'm calling my mother. I'm scheduled to a fault, so proceed with caution. ;)

I have two schedules. One for summer and one for the school year. Let's tackle summer first since that's what it is now.

Summer Schedule:
6:00 a.m. Wake up and get ready for the day.
6:30 a.m. Make breakfast and drink two and a half mugs of coffee.
7:05 a.m. Call my mom.
7:30 a.m. Sit down at my laptop and tackle whatever edit, revision, or draft is currently on my plate.
10:00 a.m. Get dirty looks from my daughter until I save my document and stop working.
*My structured work day ends here during the summer, but... I sneak on my phone once every hour to check emails I might need to get to. If I have a formatting job, I'll also sneak time when my daughter has a friend over or if my daughter and husband decide to play basketball or go for a third swim for the day. (Two swims is usually my limit.)
10:00 p.m. Go to sleep. My phone is actually set to tell me to go to bed, not that I need the encouragement, but I do need a solid eight hours of sleep.

School Year Schedule:
6:00 a.m. Wake up and get ready for the day.
6:30 a.m. Make breakfast and drink two and a half mugs of coffee.
7:05 a.m. Call my mom.
7:30 a.m. Help my daughter study for any tests she has.
8:25 a.m. Take my daughter to school.
8:45 a.m. Sit down at my laptop and tackle whatever edit, revision, or draft is currently on my plate. (From 8:45-9:45, I'm working while walking on my treadmill. I've gotten used to the bouncing words.)
12:00 p.m. (I haven't stopped working yet!) Grab something to eat for lunch that won't inhibit my ability to type. Yes, I eat at my laptop so I can continue to work.
2:45 p.m. Save my work for the day and get ready to pick my daughter up from school.
*My structured work day ends here, but there are some nights where I do more work after my daughter goes to bed. 
10:00 p.m. Go to sleep.

Really I think the reason why I get so much done is because I don't take breaks.  I'm the type of person who can focus so hard on something that I tune out the rest of the world. Some days, the hours fly by and I jump when I realize I need to go pick up my daughter from school. I really don't think this is a good thing. People should take breaks, so don't be like me, please. I'm a crazy workaholic. 

So, there it is. Nothing overly exciting, but that's my work day. When I'm not working, I'm spending time with my family because they keep me sane.


12 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your summer and school year schedule with us. You always amaze me with all you get done and I imagine your schedule helps you with that and your ability to hyper focus on your work. I can also appreciate how the same routing every day helps things to flow. I go to sleep at all random times. That is something I need to work on (though I do a lot of writing and editing at night and that makes it tough).

    Have a great day!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might benefit from having your phone tell you to go to bed. 😉

      Delete
  2. I think I'd need the breaks to re-energize.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I often tune out the rest of the world, too... And jumping after that, when I realized that I should be going, made me sprain my ankle once. Be careful, please!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I understand how you get so much done. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol I looked at this and thought I could squeeze more in there.

      Delete
  5. And that's the reason you have so many great books out there. I need to be more organized. You've inspired me to try. Thanks for giving us a look at your days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kelly, I like how you even schedule the call to bedtime. I need my 7-8 hours, too.

    ReplyDelete

All anonymous comments will be marked as spam and not published.